The cravings have set in, and they are not going anywhere soon. You venture into the cupboards to find some and of course. That "diet" plan you had insisted was a good idea has stripped you of any goodies to find, and of course you devoured that secret stash on day one because it was a Friday. Clearly a diet starts on a Monday right? Well don't panic! I'm here to save you, and your hunger pains from causing you to eat *gulp* muesli.
So put down that box of healthy granola bars you convinced yourself that you would eat everyday, and grab a mug out of the cupboard. We're going to bake some cake!
Classic Chocolate Mug Cake
- 1 slice of butter - around 1cm thick (30g)
- 6 squares of chocolate (Any chocolate you like, and however much you like! Although six is the standard amount, have fun with it!)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp of caster sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla sugar/extract (Once again, I realise we don't all have these things, so have fun with it! I love putting orange flavouring in and sometimes colouring it pink to confuse my guests)
- 4 and half tbsp of plain flour
- Half a tsp of baking powder
Now the fun part! The method -
In a mug (Warning, don't use your favourite because you will be horrified at what can happen with a "failed" mug cake) melt the butter with the chocolate in the microwave for around 30 seconds.
Mix until it is smooth and then let it cool slightly. Whisk in the egg and then add the rest of the ingredients one by one.
Cook in the microwave for one minute 20 seconds (depending on your microwave wattage) and ... You're done!
This one of the easiest and quickest thing to make! No worries about waiting for it to be cooked, hot pans and thousands of bowls to wash up (Even though you swear that you only started with one). Be crazy and add all flavours, colouring and variations! Why not even make some icing and let your children decorate their own cake? We recommend sparkles and the odd edible unicorn!
So grab your mug and root through your cupboards, you won't regret it! Besides it's so easy - It's a piece of cake!